At the beginning of the second decade of the 20th century, the centre of the art world shifted. The distance it moved was little more than five miles, from Montmartre in the north of Paris to Montparnasse on the Rive Gauche.
Montmartre had been the gathering place for Picasso, Matisse, Braque, Vlaminck, Brancusi and Gris and a host of dealers and patrons, but around 1910-11 there was a change in the air. Montparnasse, much of it a building site pulled open by the new Métro and innumerable apartment blocks, became the new favourite. The artists swapped the Moulin de la Galette and the Moulin Rouge — the windmill-nightclubs of Montmartre — for café life at Les Deux Magots, the Café de la Rotonde and La Closerie des Lilas.