While infrastructure renovations are completed in the Picture Gallery at Buckingham Palace, Old Master paintings that usually hang there will move to the southwest corner of the palace, The Queen’s Gallery. This building was originally one of the palace’s three conservatories, all of which were designed in the form of Ionic temples. In 1843, Queen Victoria converted the southwest conservatory into a private chapel. Destroyed by an air raid in 1940, the chapel was restored in 1962 as a gallery for the Royal Collection. In 1997, The Queen’s Gallery underwent still more updating to become a state-of-the-art facility with three gallery spaces and advanced climate control. The 65 masterpieces in this exhibition should enjoy their time here. Look for Johannes Vermeer’s mysterious The Music Lesson (also called A Lady at the Virginals with a Gentleman), Jan Steen’s allegorical A Woman at her Toilet, the soft yet solemn color in Guido Reni’s Cleopatra with the Asp, and much more. —L.J.
Masterpieces from Buckingham Palace was featured in the December 5, 2020 issue of Air Mail. Read on
The Queens Gallery, Buckingham Palace Buckingham Palace, London SW1A 1AA, United Kingdom Get Directions »